Business Writing Style: A business brief should be written using a “low-context” style of communication*. A business brief is direct (to-the-point) and presents relevant information to the reader. You want to avoid a conversational style of writing.
* communications should be straightforward, concise, and efficient in telling what action is expected
Students in the MBA program are expected to adhere to the following when completing a business brief.
- 12-point Serif font (Times New Roman or Courier).
- Single-spaced within paragraphs; double-spaced between paragraphs.
- Paragraphs are to be left justified.
- 1-inch margins at the top, bottom, left, and right of every page.
- No title page.
- Place important points or details into lists. The paragraphs provide context for the lists.
- Phrasesnot to use in a business brief, unless, you have been asked/hired to specifically provide a recommendation:
· I believe…
· I feel…
· In my opinion,…
- Phrases to useor something similar in a business brief that are appropriate in any analytical discussion:
The data shows…
· Research studies point out…
· The analysis indicates…
· Studies demonstrate…
· Forecast indicates…
- Complete sentences, correct grammar, correct spelling, and accurate punctuation is expected.
- Absence of typographical errors
- Citations within the body of the text follow APA format. Note: Citations are not always required. However, you must include a reference list so the reader knows from where you are deriving your information.
- Reference list (if necessary) starts on a new page and follows proper APA format.
- Images, graphs, charts, or other types of visuals are considered to be figures in APA format and must adhere to proper APA formatting.
Follow the business brief layout below:
Header: approximately 1/8 of the business brief
Opening, Context and Task: approximately 1/4 of the business brief
Summary, Discussion Segment: approximately 1/2 of the business brief
Closing Segment, Necessary Attachments: approximately 1/8 of the business brief……………………………….