CRJ 441 Week 5 Final Paper
Focus of the Research Paper
The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was created after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. This federal agency was granted broad and sweeping powers with the intent of thwarting future attacks. Identify the main responsibilities of the DHS and analyze the agency’s effectiveness in accomplishing its goals of facing the key challenges to homeland security in the 21st century. At a minimum, a meaningful paper will explore the purpose for creating the DHS and the responsibilities and obligations of the Department, as well as examine the Department’s strengths and weaknesses from both a practical and philosophical point of view. You should consider budgetary and constitutional issues that are inevitable when creating such a large, sweeping bureaucracy. Indicate whether or not this government agency provides the United States with the best comprehensive approach for maintaining domestic security.
Writing the Research Paper
The Research Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the
Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least five scholarly resources, including a minimum of two from the Ashford Online Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.